Yes, that’s right bettas need a filter in their tank. Keeping optimum water conditions is arguably THE most important aspect of fish care. Something you don’t want to get wrong.
A great filter will keep your betta fish happy and healthy, plus the tank will look cleaner and your water column will stay clear. However, with the betta’s soft flowing fins there are a few things that should influence your choice.
What follows is a closer look at filtration systems and a look at some of the best filters for betta fish:
- Whisper In-Tank Filter with BioScrubber for aquariums
- Aqueon Quietflow Internal Power Filter
- AquaClear Power Filter – 110V
- Zoo Med Nano 10 External Canister Filter, up to 10 Gallons
- Fluval External Filter 106
Betta Filtration Needs
Why you need a Betta Fish filter
A filter is probably the most important component of your betta tank outside of the water itself. There is (a multitude of reasons) that a filter will keep your Betta fish healthy and happy. The best filter for Betta will help with:
A filter will help to clean your Betta tank. Betta fish, even if the Betta is kept by itself, will generate debris in the water column. A Betta fish tank with filter will be easier to keep clean and help save you time without having to remove your Betta.
The filter can remove toxins that build up from Betta waste. Betta tank filter medium can eliminate high levels of ammonia and nitrates. The best designs will use more than one type of filter medium.
Your filter will help a Betta breath as they aerate the water. The filter will expose more water to the surface, oxygenating the water for your Betta fish.
What are the benefits of a Betta fish filter?
Betta filter products keep the water clean, allowing both the Betta and you to enjoy the best views. This allows you to see throughout the entire Betta aquarium and presents Betta fish colors clearly. A filter will make your Betta aquarium look more presentable.
A filter allows you to go longer between (water changes) in your Betta tank. Betta fish will experience less stress with a filter and the overall health of your Betta will be improved. Your filter system will make maintenance less time consuming, allowing you to spend more time viewing your Betta fish.
How is a Betta fish filter used?
A filter on your Betta aquarium takes the water from your Betta tank and runs it through (filter mediums). The best filter for Betta will also help to oxygenate your Betta fish’s water column. These filter processes are done before returning the water into your Betta tank.
The filter accomplishes this by using a motor to pull or push water through the filter system. Your best options for a Betta tank will return the water without creating a strong current that the Betta fish will struggle against. Water returns from a filter system either above or below the surface in your Betta aquarium.
Depending upon the design of the filter, the housing will be placed in the Betta tank, on the aquarium housing, or outside of your Betta fish tank on a shelf.
Betta fish filter designs
While there is a variety of (filter systems), these designs are considered by many as the best filter for Betta:
Canister filter systems. This is a popular type of filter used throughout the hobby. The filter uses a pump to draw water out of your Betta tank, through the filter media, and back into the Betta aquarium. They are also referred to as an external filter for a Betta fish tank.
HOB filter systems. These filter products hang on the outside of the Betta fish tank glass. A filter pump draws water across the filter mediums before returning it into the aquarium. It also called a power filter by many Betta fish enthusiasts.
Sponge filter systems. It is an internal filter that sits inside the Betta fish tank. It draws water through a filter sponge that returns the water into your Betta tank. Some Betta keepers refer to these as airlift filters, as a sponge filter for Betta uses an air hose to push water through the Betta filter.
Under gravel filter systems. Another type of internal filter, these products are placed under the sand substrate in your Beta aquarium. They use the substrate as a filter media, drawing water below the sand and through tubes that return the water into your Betta fish tank. This filter system also uses air for water circulation.
Best Betta fish filter features to look for
Flow rate. By far the most important feature on a Betta tank filter will be the amount of water it cleans. This will be measured by Gallons per Hour, and the best designs will cycle the entire betta tank at least three times each hour.
Filter media. These come in biological, chemical, and mechanical forms. The best filter for Betta will use two, preferably all three, media types.
Noise level. You and your Betta will benefit from lower noise output from the product. The best filter for Betta will generate lower decibel levels.
Easy to use. Less complicated systems are easier for beginning Betta keepers to use. Your best filter for Betta should be easy to clean and require little input to operate.
Five Great Filtration Choices For Your Betta Tank
Whisper In-Tank Filter with BioScrubber for aquariums
Best filter for easy and quick Betta aquarium filter changes.
Using this product will not disturb your Betta as much as other designs will as you do not have to put your hand into the aquarium. Its cleaning cartridges are easy to access from the top of the device. You can also unclip it from the tank if you need to clean the impeller blade.
It uses a cartridge system, allowing you to change media without a mess. You should also find this product producing a limited amount of noise during operation.
- You can select from reasonably priced systems for various sized Betta tanks
- This may be one of the easiest systems to use for beginners
- Tetra products are easy to find online as well as at pet shops
- As it is an internal filter it does take up space that the fish could have been using for swimming in
Aqueon Quietflow Internal Power Filter
A great option for Betta aquarium owners with space considerations.
This compact model will work well inside of Betta tanks that are 10-gallons or more in size. It is designed to be placed in different directions so you will have more options to work around your tank’s shape as well as the decorations.
Not only is the direction adjustable, but you can also move the return to adjust its height also. Proprietary cartridges can be purchased to offer you all three types of filter media in one package. The manufacturer also offers a limited lifetime warranty on this product.
- It is a very quiet filter
- It can be mounted horizontally or vertically in your betta tank
- A patented BioGrid media works great against ammonia and nitrates
- It can cause water current that your Betta may have to swim against
AquaClear Power Filter – 110V
Best Hang Off Back filtration for larger Betta fish tanks.
This filter will create plenty of oxygen in the water column, preventing your Betta from having to gain oxygen at the water surface. Your water should stay very clear due to the volume of water it will clean each hour.
A two-year warranty will provide you with the confidence to depend upon its filtration abilities. You should also come to appreciate the room in the media chamber that will allow you to mix and match the mediums that you can use.
- This product will produce more aeration in the water column
- It is capable of cleaning a large volume of water for the system’s size
- There will be more water evaporation as this design exposes the water outside of your tank’s lid
Zoo Med Nano 10 External Canister Filter, up to 10 Gallons
Best canister filter for those with smaller Betta fish tank setups.
This product should prove a good fit for Betta keepers who want a canister filter for their smaller aquariums. The motor is separated from the filtration media so you will not have to worry about them clogging your motor intakes.
The controls are limited by design as this system is made to operate with a minimal amount of fuss. The media chamber can be packed with any type of material you wish to use for filtration purposes.
- It can provide three-stage canister filtration without being overkill on smaller Betta tanks
- Priming the filter at start up is easy to do
- Water feed hoses are located along the top of the unit
- This product design is a bit top heavy as it has a base that tapers
- The media chamber is smaller due to its more compact design which may be a disadvantage to some aquarists
Fluval External Filter 106
One of the most durable and popular filter systems around.
The Fluval 106 circulates 100-gallons of water each hour, making it a great fit for Betta tanks up to 25-gallons in size. A strong seal allows the pressure to build evenly and creates a smooth water flow through the media used.
This filter is made from strong materials that will provide years of service, and the manufacturer places a three-year warranty on it. Its impeller blade is damped which allows it to run silently in any room.
- An in-line strainer helps to keep this system from clogging during use
- The AquaStop valve will help to prevent water from leaking all over when it is opened
- Media baskets help to keep materials separated as the water is pull through them
- This system comes at a higher price point than most other products on this list
- Its strong seal will make it harder to break open and clean during maintenance
Best Filtration For Your Betta Tank
- Aquarium refiltration system that offers superior contact time with filter media and energy efficient pump lowers operating costs
- Quick and easy installation, we recommend that you clean aquarium filter every two weeks for maximum operation and efficiency
- Provides optimal mechanical, chemical, and biological filtrations
- Comes equipped with AquaClear Foam, Activated Carbon Filter and BioMax and Cycle Guard for superior water quality
- Filtration volume is up to 7 times larger than comparable fish tank filters
All of the products listed above will offer clean water for your Betta to enjoy. With that being said, we feel that the greatest overall filter for a betta fish tank is the Aqua Clear, Fish Tank Filter, 5 to 20 Gallons, 110v, A595.
It is a quiet filter which is suitable for tanks up to 10 gallons – which is a great size for a betta fish. The shape and ability to set up the filter vertically or horizontally means it is suitable for the most displays an arrangements.
You fish will enjoy fantastic water conditions due to the filter’s three different types of filtration.
Plus a limited lifetime warranty!
Aqueon Quietflow Filter Review
Subscribe today and receive a FREE Betta Fish Care for Beginners eBook
Betta fish crazy? Yeah? Join our 10,000 subscribers and get betta fish fun, updates and our betta fish care eBook sent direct to your inbox for free.
Thank you for subscribing.
Check your inbox for instructions
Oops... Something went wrong.